By Roger Myrick
- the dating between homosexual id, language, and power
- cultural stories of the old improvement of homosexual identity
- studies in healthiness communique approximately HIV/AIDS and health and wellbeing possibility communication
- the political results of public healthiness schooling approximately HIV/AIDS on homosexual men
- the political outcomes of media representations of homosexual id and its courting to illness Based totally on the French student Michel Foucault’s serious, ancient research of discourse and sexuality, this publication takes a well timed and unique method which differs from conventional, quantitative communique reviews. It examines the connection among language and tradition utilizing a qualitative, cultural stories method which areas medicalization theories within the broader context of histories of sexuality, the discursive improvement of up to date homosexual identification, and up to date public health and wellbeing communication.Author Roger Myrick explains how mainstream communique approximately HIV/AIDS relentlessly stigmatizes and extra marginalizes homosexual id. He describes how nationwide overall healthiness schooling stigmatizes teams by way of associating them with pictures of ailment and “otherness.” Even verbal exchange which originates from marginal teams, really these counting on federal money, frequently participates in linking homosexual identities with affliction. in accordance with Myrick, govt investment, whereas frequently important for the continuation of community-based health and wellbeing campaigns, poses seen and direct regulations on potent marginal schooling. AIDS, conversation, and Empowerment enables a rethinking of the way marginal teams can take keep watch over in their personal schooling on public healthiness concerns. As HIV/AIDS circumstances proceed to upward thrust dramatically between marginalized and disenfranchised teams, research of future health verbal exchange directed towards them turns into the most important to their survival. This e-book presents worthwhile insights and knowledge for students, pros, readers drawn to the connection between language, strength and marginal id, and for sessions in homosexual and lesbian experiences, health and wellbeing verbal exchange, or political communication.
Read or Download AIDS, Communication, and Empowerment: Gay Male Identity and the Politics of Public Health Messages PDF
Similar gay & lesbian nonfiction books
Within the Bible Belt, it’s universal to determine bumper stickers that declare One guy + One girl = Marriage, church billboards that command one to “Get correct with Jesus,” letters to the editor evaluating homosexual marriage to marrying one’s puppy, and nightly information approximately homophobic assaults from the family members starting place. whereas a few parts of the Unites States have made super growth in securing rights for homosexual humans, Bible Belt states lag at the back of.
Examines the intersections of “Latino,” “queer,” and “American,” to demonstrate how the types of sophistication, race, gender, sexuality, and ethnicity are at once entangled with problems with citizenship and belonging. María-Amelia Viteri explores the a number of unfixed meanings that the time period “Latino” takes on as this classification is reappropriated and translated by way of LGBT “Latinos” in Washington, DC, San Salvador, and Quito.
In Queer Marxism in Chinas Petrus Liu rethinks the connection among Marxism and queer cultures in mainland China and Taiwan. while many students think the emergence of queer cultures in China signs the top of Marxism and demonstrates China's political and monetary evolution, Liu reveals the other to be actual.
¿Qué es realmente los angeles homofobia? ¿Cuál es su origen? ¿Quiénes son sus culpables? Años después del Matrimonio Igualitario, cuando podría parecer que hemos alcanzado l. a. igualdad para lesbianas, gais, bisexuales y transexuales, nos siguen llegando noticias de agresiones. Las reformas legales son imprescindibles, pero no suficientes para cambiar todo un contexto cultural que sigue privilegiando una sexualidad sobre el resto.
- Tory Pride and Prejudice: The Conservative Party and homosexual law reform
- Sexuality and Social Justice in Africa: Rethinking Homophobia and Forging Resistance (African Arguments)
- Middlebrow Queer: Christopher Isherwood in America
- Queering Tourism: Paradoxical Performances of Gay Pride Parades (Routledge Studies in Human Geography)
- Male Homosexualities and World Religions
- Health Care Disparities and the LGBT Population
Extra resources for AIDS, Communication, and Empowerment: Gay Male Identity and the Politics of Public Health Messages