By Susan Pickard
"With nice rigour, but an enviable lightness of contact, Susan Pickard has written a fascinating and obtainable booklet that scholars will love."
- Rosaline Gill, urban college London
"A scholarly travel de strength that brings into concentration a number of the disciplines, histories, literatures and knowledges that experience remodeled us into sleek topics of age."
- Stephen Katz, Trent University
Age Studies takes an invigorating method of the study of age and ageing in modern society. Encompassing aging during the existence path, taking in adolescence, youth, mid-life and older age, and located explicitly inside a sociological disciplinary framework, Age Studies:
- Explores present social technological know-how debates at the learn of ageing linking those to middle sociological concepts.
- Links thought and alertness, utilizing quite a few examples and overseas case studies
- Includes bankruptcy summaries, additional examining and guided questions.
A thought-provoking better half to complex undergraduates and postgraduate scholar learning growing old, older humans, social gerontology and comparable courses.
Read or Download Age Studies: A Sociological Examination of How We Age and are Aged through the Life Course PDF
Best gerontology books
Studienarbeit aus dem Jahr 2010 im Fachbereich Soziologie - modify, , Sprache: Deutsch, summary: Wir werden bunter, älter und weniger. In dieser Kürze kann der demografische Wandel in Deutschland zusammengefasst werden. Wir leben in einer schrumpfenden Gesellschaft, die Lebensstile differenzieren und pluralisieren sich zunehmen.
Considering 1900, the common lifestyles expectancy within the constructed global has nearly doubled, from forty five to eighty. “We are nearly a brand new species,” declared the English author V. S. Pritchett, whereas declaring that this implies “most folks need to face the chance of a protracted previous age ahead of we die. ” Pritchett is considered one of 5 nice writers—along with Stanley Kunitz, Doris Lessing, Mavis Gallant and Russell Baker—whose novels, brief tales, poems and essays approximately previous age, written in previous age, are tested during this booklet.
This groundbreaking e-book offers accomplished remedy of the political economic climate of getting older by means of a student broadly credited because the founder and key philosopher of this box within the US and across the world. The physique of labor awarded during this quantity, in constructing this serious point of view, goals to give a contribution to the knowledge of outdated age and getting older within the context of difficulties and problems with the bigger social order within the world's so much complicated capitalist state, the U.
Featuring present study in an cutting edge text-reader layout, getting older: innovations and Controversies, 9th variation encourages scholars to get involved and take an educated stand at the significant getting older concerns we are facing as a society. no longer easily a precis of study literature, Harry R. Moody and Jennifer R.
- Bürgerschaftliches Engagement im Alter: Hintergründe, Formen, Umfang und Funktionen (Urban-Taschenbücher) (German Edition)
- Aging With a Plan: How a Little Thought Today Can Vastly Improve Your Tomorrow: How a Little Thought Today Can Vastly Improve Your Tomorrow
- Demography and Retirement: The Twenty-First Century
- The Social Geography of Healthy Aging (Healthy Aging & Fitness Book 1)
- Am Ende des Lebens. Alter, Tod und Suizid in der Antike (Zetemata) (German Edition)
- Imagining Care: Responsibility, Dependency, and Canadian Literature
Additional resources for Age Studies: A Sociological Examination of How We Age and are Aged through the Life Course