By Beth Rodgers
Read or Download Adolescent Girlhood and Literary Culture at the Fin de Siècle: Daughters of Today (Palgrave Studies in Nineteenth-Century Writing and Culture) PDF
Best literary victorian criticism books
Ghost tales are regularly in dialog with novelistic modes with which they're modern. This publication examines examples from Sir Walter Scott, Charles Dickens, Henry James and Rudyard Kipling, amongst others, to the tip of the 20 th century, taking a look at how they handle empire, category, estate, heritage and trauma.
This choice of essays illustrates quite a few pressures and concerns—both sensible and theoretical—related to the learn of print tradition. Procedural problems diversity from doubts concerning the reliability of digitized assets to issues with the restricting parameters of 'national' ebook history.
In response to shut readings of 5 Victorian novels, Hallum offers an unique learn of the interplay among renowned fiction, the wedding marketplace and the cultured stream. She makes use of the texts to track the improvement of aestheticism, analyzing the diversities among the authors, together with their strategy, kind and gender.
“Wright’s completely unique research focuses now not on narratives of ailment, yet on narratives of well-being. …Thus analyzing opposed to the grain, Wright uncovers a hidden historical past of well-being and of the unconventional itself. ” —Pamela okay. Gilbert, writer of disorder, hope and the physique in Victorian Women’s well known NovelsIn examining for wellbeing and fitness: scientific Narratives and the Nineteenth-Century Novel, Erika Wright argues that the emphasis in Victorian reviews on affliction because the fundamental resource of narrative clash that needs to be resolved has obscured the complicated analyzing practices that emerge round the idea of wellbeing and fitness.
- Literary Research and the Victorian and Edwardian Ages, 1830-1910: Strategies and Sources (Literary Research: Strategies and Sources)
- Crossings in Text and Textile (Becoming Modern/Reading Dress)
- Children's Literature and Capitalism: Fictions of Social Mobility in Britain, 1850-1914 (Critical Approaches to Children's Literature)
- Actresses as Working Women: Their Social Identity in Victorian Culture (Gender in Performance)
- The Self in the Cell: Narrating the Victorian Prisoner (Literary Criticism and Cultural Theory)
Additional resources for Adolescent Girlhood and Literary Culture at the Fin de Siècle: Daughters of Today (Palgrave Studies in Nineteenth-Century Writing and Culture)