By Francis O'Gorman
- Opens up for the reader the cultural international during which the Victorian novel used to be written and read.
- Crosses conventional disciplinary boundaries.
- Provides clean views on how Victorian fiction pertains to varied contexts, resembling classification, sexuality, empire, psychology, legislations and biology.
Read or Download A Concise Companion to the Victorian Novel (Concise Companions to Literature and Culture) PDF
Best literary victorian criticism books
Ghost tales are consistently in dialog with novelistic modes with which they're modern. This ebook examines examples from Sir Walter Scott, Charles Dickens, Henry James and Rudyard Kipling, amongst others, to the top of the 20 th century, how they tackle empire, classification, estate, background and trauma.
This choice of essays illustrates a number of pressures and concerns—both functional and theoretical—related to the learn of print tradition. Procedural problems variety from doubts in regards to the reliability of digitized assets to issues with the proscribing parameters of 'national' publication history.
In keeping with shut readings of 5 Victorian novels, Hallum provides an unique learn of the interplay among renowned fiction, the wedding marketplace and the cultured circulation. She makes use of the texts to track the advance of aestheticism, interpreting the diversities among the authors, together with their method, kind and gender.
“Wright’s completely unique research focuses no longer on narratives of disease, yet on narratives of well-being. …Thus interpreting opposed to the grain, Wright uncovers a hidden heritage of wellbeing and fitness and of the unconventional itself. ” —Pamela ok. Gilbert, writer of sickness, hope and the physique in Victorian Women’s renowned NovelsIn analyzing for overall healthiness: scientific Narratives and the Nineteenth-Century Novel, Erika Wright argues that the emphasis in Victorian experiences on ailment because the basic resource of narrative clash that needs to be resolved has obscured the complicated studying practices that emerge round the proposal of overall healthiness.
- Adam Bede (Signet Classics)
- Victorian Poets: A Critical Reader (Blackwell Critical Reader)
- The New Journalism, the New Imperialism and the Fiction of Empire, 1870-1900 (Palgrave Studies in the History of the Media)
- The Idea of the Gentleman in the Victorian Novel: Volume 21 (Routledge Library Editions: The Nineteenth-Century Novel)
Extra resources for A Concise Companion to the Victorian Novel (Concise Companions to Literature and Culture)