By Keith Wilson
- Informed through the newest in scholarly, serious, and theoretical debates from many of the world's major Hardy scholars
- Reveals groundbreaking insights via examinations of Hardy’s significant novels, brief tales, poetry, and drama
- Explores Hardy's paintings within the context of the foremost highbrow and socio-cultural currents of his time and assesses his legacy for next writers
Read or Download A Companion to Thomas Hardy (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture) PDF
Similar literary victorian criticism books
Ghost tales are constantly in dialog with novelistic modes with which they're modern. This e-book examines examples from Sir Walter Scott, Charles Dickens, Henry James and Rudyard Kipling, amongst others, to the top of the 20th century, taking a look at how they handle empire, category, estate, background and trauma.
This choice of essays illustrates a variety of pressures and concerns—both functional and theoretical—related to the examine of print tradition. Procedural problems diversity from doubts concerning the reliability of digitized assets to issues with the proscribing parameters of 'national' booklet history.
In response to shut readings of 5 Victorian novels, Hallum provides an unique examine of the interplay among well known fiction, the wedding industry and the cultured flow. She makes use of the texts to track the advance of aestheticism, interpreting the variations among the authors, together with their method, kind and gender.
“Wright’s completely unique research focuses no longer on narratives of ailment, yet on narratives of overall healthiness. …Thus examining opposed to the grain, Wright uncovers a hidden background of wellbeing and fitness and of the unconventional itself. ” —Pamela okay. Gilbert, writer of illness, wish and the physique in Victorian Women’s renowned NovelsIn studying for overall healthiness: clinical Narratives and the Nineteenth-Century Novel, Erika Wright argues that the emphasis in Victorian experiences on disorder because the basic resource of narrative clash that has to be resolved has obscured the advanced studying practices that emerge round the inspiration of healthiness.
- The Victorian Novel, Service Work, and the Nineteenth-Century Economy (Palgrave Studies in Nineteenth-Century Writing and Culture)
- The Real Sherlock Holmes: The Hidden Story of Jerome Caminada
- The Victorian Novel (Wiley Blackwell Guides to Literature)
- Victorian Poets and the Changing Bible (Victorian Literature and Culture Series)
Additional info for A Companion to Thomas Hardy (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture)